Magical Mystery Book Club
Keep Skills Sharp with this Summer Reading Camp Program!*
This book club gives your child the best of both worlds – RITES multisensory, high-quality, academic workshops in the morning and Wheeler’s anything-but-ordinary camp activities in the afternoon!
*This is an application-based program – you must apply & be accepted.
|Grades:||Entering 6th – 8th grade
1:8 teacher/student ratio
|Dates:||July 26 – August 6, 2021
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
9:00 am – 12:00 pm Academic program
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm Lunch break*
1:00 pm – 4:00 pm Traditional camp activities (includes personalized swimming lessons!)
|Location:||The Wheeler School, Seekonk, MA
|Price:||$990 (includes a pre-assessment, to be scheduled)
|Extended Day Options:||Early drop-off and late pick-up available for an additional fee – click here for more information|
* Lunch is brown bag, or also available for purchase, for $50/week. Click here for more information.
How We Help
Through the amazing invention of NoahText® by local author and RITES collaboration partner, Sarah K. Blodgett, participants in this book club will read her novel, The Mystical Years of Franklin Noah Peterson, Book 1. Under expert guidance, your child will be taught how to read better using NoahText®, while also learning and developing critical reading skills, such as:
- vocabulary development, using definition activities, word families, synonyms, context clues, etc.
- comprehension skills – inference, prediction, compare/contrast, and more
Be Part of a New Reading Research Study
In conjunction with Michigan State University and New Century Education, participants will be part of a research study to measure the effectiveness of an online tool using this novel and NoahText®.
The Magical Mystery Book Club is a great way to engage your reluctant reader over the summer. In particular, participants will be immersed in an exciting mystery story while they practice their reading skills.
Book Club members will start the day with some online pre-reading activities before delving into each chapter of the novel. They will engage in hands-on, in-person activities to reinforce concepts, improve comprehension, and bring the story to life. Every day, they will finish their book club meeting and head back to “traditional,” but more-fun-than-one-kid-can-possibly-have camp activities for the rest of the day. Best of all? With the outdoor Wheeler Seekonk campus as the setting, their heads can linger in the clouds for a bit, while their feet take them through acres of camp fun and activities!
Who Is This Program For?
The Magical Mystery Book Club is designed for middle schoolers, reading at about a 5th or 6th-grade level. It is intended for anyone who would like to improve their reading fluency and get more out of what they read. While a diagnosed learning difference is not necessary to participate, those who have one documented are encouraged to register, as these learning profiles are needed for the Michigan State research study. (Documentation of your child’s learning difference needs to be provided, if applicable before we can determine acceptance status.)
Find out more about Noah Text, the research behind it, how it works, and more, all from the creator herself, Sarah K. Blodgett!
How We Are Keeping Your Child Safe
Located just minutes from the East Side of Providence, Wheeler’s Seekonk campus offers plenty of enjoyable outdoor space for learning in nature while maintaining COVID-19 safe practices, including:
- Stable pods of no more than 8 children
- Low teacher/student ratio of 1:8, with teaching assistants for even smaller groups
- Large, newly built classrooms to spread out for portions of the instruction time and inclement weather
- Properly ventilated classrooms, including HEPA filtration systems for state-of-the-art air purification and safe circulation
- Easy access to plenty of dedicated outdoor learning station space, separate from the ongoing traditional campers and activities
- Seamless transition to afternoon camp activities while staying in a stable pod
- Individual Cool Kid Tool Kits of materials for each student’s exclusive use
- Continual mask-wearing, hand-washing, and regular sanitizing of used areas, with ongoing modifications in accordance with updated CDC guidance
- On-site nurse throughout the program
- Weekly COVID-19 testing/daily screening of all faculty, staff, participants, and campers*
*May dependent on current Massachusetts health guidelines and requirements at that time
What you get:
- Pre-assessment for targeted instruction and to learn where your child is at with reading skills
- Quality, multisensory, hands-on instruction from creative master teachers
- Data from this pilot research study of NoahText®
- A full-day of engaging programming for your child and peace of mind for you
For a better school year – Stop Summer Brain Drain:
Studies show that children who are not in summer programs lose about a month’s worth of learning. In turn, in-depth research has also shown that this learning loss is a direct result of not participating in educational activities during the summer. Engage your middle schooler’s whole brain in a fun, interactive mini-projects and deeper comprehension with the RITES Magical Mystery Book Club. By attending this program, your student will not lose skills over the summer, will practice new tools to read better, and will have a headstart on learning new material.
- Completed online application (required)
- Teacher Questionnaire (required) – we need your child’s teacher to fill out this form in its entirety (especially the reading level) to help us determine if our program is the right fit for your child.
- Any learning difference documentation (not required if this does not apply to your child) – if your child has an IEP and/or an evaluation for a learning difference, please provide these for review.
- Financial Aid Form – (If applying for financial assistance, you will need to submit the financial aid form FIRST before applying for the class online. If approved for financial assistance, you will be given a special financial aid code to use for the online application to reduce the cost.)
Not sure which program is right for your child? Contact RI Tutorial’s academic counselors so we can help your child make educational gains this summer in our proven, effective, high-quality programs.
Rhode Island Tutorial & Educational Services
334 East Avenue – Suite 3 Pawtucket, RI 02860
Speak with a RITES Specialist 401-723-4459