Rocking Reading and Megahit Math
Keep Skills Sharp!
Get the best of both worlds with this summer reading and math camp – RITES multisensory, high-quality, academic workshops in the morning and Wheeler’s anything-but-ordinary camp activities in the afternoon!
RITES & Wheeler Summer Combo: Summer reading and math camp*
*This is an APPLICATION-BASED program – you must apply & be accepted
|Grades:||Rising 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade
1:8 teacher/student ratio
|Dates:||July 19 – August 6, 2021
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
|Location:||The Wheeler School, Seekonk, MA
|Extended Day Options:||Early drop-off and late pick-up available for an additional fee – click here for more information|
* Lunch is brown bag, or also available for purchase, for $50/week. Click here for more information.
Summer reading and math camp reimagined for fun! Engage your child in a fun, supportive, and creative realm of enriching curriculum designed by expert teachers. Strengthen and practice key reading and math success skills through a variety of lively games and activities, such as Reader’s Theater and Multiplication Twister, all within Wheeler’s beautiful 120-acre Seekonk, MA campus, located just minutes from the East Side of Providence.
Who Is This Program For?
Rocking Reading & Megahit Math is intended for students entering grades 1 – 5 in the fall, who may need a boost to their reading and math skills before starting the new school year. COVID-19 and distance learning have impacted most students’ academic progress significantly, and this course can help close the COVID gap and avoid the Summer Slide.
Consider Rocking Reading & Megahit Math if:
- Your child could use more practice/improve fluency with reading and/or math skills
- You are worried your child is falling a little behind peers in reading and math
- Your child was just starting to understand certain concepts in reading and math as the school year ended and you don’t want to lose momentum
- Your child could benefit from a preview of upcoming reading and math skills in the fall
- If your child is two grade levels or more behind peers in reading and/or math, this program is NOT an appropriate fit.
- This program is NOT an appropriate replacement for the RITES Code Breakers intensive reading and writing summer program offered in previous summers.
- This program is not designed as an accelerated learning program.
For all of these learning profiles and goals, please contact RITES Educational Consultants and we’d be happy to discuss tutorial options.
RITES’ Summer Reading and Math Program is designed to:
- Boost Confidence – With improved reading and math skills, your student will have more confidence in the classroom this fall and all year long.
- Improve Difficult Skills – Individual attention enables students to conquer elusive skills from the past school year and gain new expertise.
- Prevent Brain Drain – Students who aren’t academically engaged typically lose a month of mastery over summer. By being involved in this program, students will maintain and further develop current skills.
- Spark Excitement for the Upcoming School Year – RITES’ interactive and exciting programs foster a newfound “yearn to learn.” Your student will be excited to show off new skills and start the school year motivated and ready for success.
Below is a menu of skills we select from, depending on the profiles and specific needs of each group:
- Word attack
- Guided reading
- Comprehension strategies
- Critical thinking
- Math facts
- Word problems
- Numerical relationships
- Math vocabulary
- Place value
- Critical thinking
How We Are Keeping Your Child Safe
Located just minutes from the East Side of Providence, Wheeler’s Seekonk campus offers plenty of enjoyable outdoor space for learning in nature while maintaining COVID-19 safe practices, including:
- Stable pods of no more than 8 children
- Low teacher/student ratio of 1:8, with teaching assistants for even smaller groups
- Large, newly built classrooms to spread out for portions of the instruction time and inclement weather
- Properly ventilated classrooms, including HEPA filtration systems for state-of-the-art air purification and safe circulation
- Access to plenty of dedicated outdoor learning station space, separate from the ongoing traditional campers and activities
- Seamless transition to afternoon camp activities while staying in a stable pod
- Individual Cool Kid Tool Kits of materials for each student’s exclusive use
- Continual mask-wearing, hand-washing, and regular sanitizing of used areas, with ongoing modifications in accordance with updated CDC guidance
- On-site nurse throughout the program
- Weekly COVID-19 testing/daily screening of all faculty, staff, participants, and campers*
*May dependent on current Massachusetts health guidelines and requirements at that time
What you get:
- Pre-assessment for targeted instruction
- Written progress report
- Quality, multisensory, hands-on instruction from creative master teachers
- A full-day of engaging programming for your child and peace of mind for you
- Completed online application (required)
- Teacher Questionnaire (required – share this link with your child’s teacher) – we need your child’s teacher to fill out this form in its entirety (especially the reading level) to help us determine if our program is the right fit for your child.
- Any learning difference documentation (not required if this does not apply to your child) – if your child has an IEP and/or an evaluation for a learning difference, please provide these for review.
- Financial Aid Form – (If applying for financial assistance, you will need to submit the financial aid form FIRST before applying for the class online. If approved for financial assistance, you will be given a special financial aid code to use for the online application to reduce the cost.)
For a better school year – stop Summer Brain Drain:
Studies show that children who are not in summer programs lose about a month’s worth of learning. Additionally, in-depth research has also shown that this learning loss is a result of not participating in educational activities during the summer. RITES’ Rocking Reading and Megahit Math Program is designed to engage students’ whole brain in a fun, interactive activities. By attending this program, your student will not lose skills over the summer and will have a head-start on learning new material.
Not sure which program is right for your child? Contact RI Tutorial’s academic counselors so we can help your child make educational gains this summer in our proven, effective, high-quality programs.
Rhode Island Tutorial & Educational Services
334 East Avenue – Suite 3 Pawtucket, RI 02860
Speak with a RITES Specialist 401-723-4459