Code Breakers: Unlocking Reading, Writing and Spelling
Skill-building/Intervention: summer reading program, summer Orton-Gillingham
|Grades:||Entering 2nd – 6th
1:8 teacher/student ratio
|Dates:||July 13 – August 14
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Hamilton School at Wheeler campus
|Price:||$1,800 (includes pre- and post-assessment and progress report)|
|Extended Day Options:||
Is your child struggling to read? Reading below grade level? Having trouble spelling and writing down ideas?
This summer Orton-Gillingham class is a 5-week course teaching students to read, write and spell better using the proven, phonemically-based, multisensory Orton-Gillingham method of instruction, in conjunction with other multisensory tools and approaches. Students participate in guided reading and writing lessons, with hands-on activities that improve these skills, while engaging them and boosting their self-esteem. Each student has the tremendous benefit of a dedicated, certified occupational therapist working with him or her in the Code Breakers program.
Below is a menu of skills we select from, depending on the profiles and specific needs of each group:
- Phonemic awareness
- Spelling rules/generalizations
- Vocabulary development
- Sight word recognition
- Organizing/sequencing ideas
- Improving sentence structure
- Developing strong paragraphs
- Using proper grammar
This summer Orton-Gillingham class has a certified occupational therapist working with students in this class. We utilize specific movement activities to enhance such areas as spatial orientation, directionality, motor coordination, balance, and sensory integration to nurture these important physical foundations for learning. Students are then better prepared to concentrate, follow directions, process information, and engage in the learning process more actively. This component of our program is integrated directly into the course.
Benefits of Code Breakers include:
- Students experience increased independence, success, self-esteem, and confidence in the classroom
- Pre- and post-testing included measuring skill development
- Parent-teacher conference
- Weekly newsletters highlighting each week’s activities in your child’s classroom
- Parents receive an in-depth progress report at the end of the class
- Each student creates a customized resource binder with the indispensable information presented during the class to use throughout the coming school year
- Students learn how to advocate for their learning style
- Students start the school year with increased skills
Still looking for summer course options? try out RITES’ interactive tool to see which course may be best for your student. Not sure which program is right for your child? Contact RI Tutorial’s academic counselors so we can help your child make educational gains this summer in our proven, effective, high-quality programs.
Downloadable Supplemental Application Forms
- Teacher Questionnaire
- Financial Aid Form (If applying for financial assistance, you will need to submit the financial aid form FIRST before applying for the class online. If approved for financial assistance, you will be given a special financial aid code to use for the online application to reduce the cost.)
If you prefer to have the application materials mailed to you, please fill out the “Contact Us” form below, including your full address and the specific course you are interested in.
Rhode Island Tutorial & Educational Services
334 East Avenue – Suite 3 Pawtucket, RI 02860
Speak with a RITES Specialist 401-723-4459