Novel Exploration: Digging Deeper into Reading Comprehension and Writing
Skill-building/Intervention: summer reading and writing programs
|Grades:||Entering 5th – 6th
1:8 teacher/student ratio
|Dates:||July 8 – July 26
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Hamilton School at Wheeler campus
|Extended Day Options:||
Is your child reading, but struggling to understand, retain and use the information? Does your child have trouble organizing ideas for written assignments?
Novel Exploration is a language arts course designed to improve reading fluency, comprehension, and writing skills.
Reading: Skills are improved by using high-interest text and lots of hands-on activities, such as Readers’ Theater and active reading strategies. Students hone word-attack and spelling skills while building vocabulary, using multisensory-based, sequential, systematic approaches.
Writing: Writing is incorporated throughout this program and tied to reading selections. Strategies include a variety of graphic organizers to sequence ideas, prompts to engage deeper thinking and a workshop atmosphere for full student engagement and immediate feedback. Paragraph formation is taught in a step-by-step manner, and students also work on different types of essays.
Below is a menu of skills we select from, depending on the profiles and specific needs of each group:
- Multisyllabic decoding/encoding
- Vocabulary development
- Guided reading
- Organizing/sequencing ideas
- Improving sentence structure
- Developing strong paragraphs
- Using proper grammar
- Word processing/keyboarding
Benefits of Novel Exploration include:
- Students experience increased independence, success, self-esteem, and confidence in the classroom
- Parents receive an in-depth progress report at the end of the class
- Each student creates a customized binder with the indispensable information presented during the class to use throughout the school year
Still looking for summer course options? Try RITES’ interactive tool to see which course may be best for your student. Not sure which program is right for your child? Contact RI Tutorial’s academic counselors so we can help your child make educational gains this summer in our proven, effective, high-quality programs.
Downloadable Supplemental Forms:
- Teacher Questionnaire
- Financial Aid Form (If applying for financial assistance, you will need to submit the financial aid form FIRST before applying for the class online. If approved for financial assistance, you will be given a special financial aid code to use for the online application to reduce the cost.)
If you prefer to have the application materials mailed to you, please fill out the “Contact Us” form below, including your full address and the specific course you are interested in.
Rhode Island Tutorial & Educational Services
334 East Avenue – Suite 3 Pawtucket, RI 02860
Speak with a RITES Specialist 401-723-4459