Code Breakers: Unlocking Reading, Writing and Spelling
Skill-building/Intervention: summer reading program, summer Orton-Gillingham
*This is an APPLICATION-BASED program – you must apply & be accepted
Applications are NOW OPEN!
For summer 2022, all students and staff will be required to be fully COVID vaccinated two weeks before the beginning of the program.
|Grades:||Entering 2nd – 6th
1:8 teacher/student ratio
|Dates:||July 11 – August 12, 2022
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
5 weeks: Must be available to attend all 5 weeks
|Location:||The Hamilton School at Wheeler, Providence, RI (210 Angell Street entrance)|
|Price:||$1,900 (includes pre- and post-assessment and progress report)|
|Extended Day Options:||
* Lunch is brown bag, or also available for purchase, for $5/day or $50/2-week session. Click here for more information.
Is your child struggling to read? Reading below grade level? Having trouble spelling and writing down ideas?
This summer Orton-Gillingham class is a 5-week course teaching students to read, write and spell better using the proven, phonemically-based, multisensory Orton-Gillingham method of instruction, alongside other fun, interactive multisensory tools and approaches. Students participate in guided reading and writing lessons, with hands-on activities that improve these skills, while engaging them and boosting their self-esteem.
Who Is the Code Breakers Program For?
This program is designed for students who are struggling to learn to read and spell and/or have a diagnosed learning difference, such as Dyslexia and/or ADHD, a. These students have a need for structured literacy instruction that is multisensory and sequential. No prior exposure to Orton-Gillingham or related programs is necessary; however, students who have received Orton-Gillingham, Wilson, or other multisensory, structured, sequential reading programs previously will benefit from this small-group class. We assess students and group them accordingly to meet them where they are at and build skills from there.
Below is a menu of skills we select from, depending on the profiles and specific needs of each group:
- Phonemic awareness
- Spelling rules/generalizations
- Vocabulary development
- Sight word recognition
- Organizing/sequencing ideas
- Improving sentence structure
- Developing strong paragraphs
- Using proper grammar
How We Are Keeping Your Child Safe
We’re dedicated to the safety and peace of mind of our families and staff as we work together over the summer. We will continue to monitor the situation and consult RIDOH and CDC guidance to maintain COVID-19 safe practices, including:
- Stable pods of no more than 8 children
- Low teacher/student ratio of 1:8, with teaching assistants for even smaller groups
- Properly ventilated classrooms, including HEPA filtration systems for state-of-the-art air purification and safe circulation
- Access to plenty of dedicated outdoor space on a regular basis
- For those who choose to combine with Wheeler Camp, seamless transition to afternoon camp activities while staying in a stable pod
- Individual Cool Kid Tool Kits of materials for each student’s exclusive use
- Continual mask-wearing, hand-washing, and regular sanitizing of used areas, with ongoing modifications in accordance with updated CDC guidance
- On-site nurse throughout the program
- Up to date vaccination required of all participants, faculty and staff
Benefits of Code Breakers include:
- Students experience increased independence, success, self-esteem, and confidence in the classroom
- Pre- and post-testing included, measuring skill development
- Parent-teacher conference
- Weekly newsletters highlighting each week’s activities in your child’s classroom
- Parents receive an in-depth progress report at the end of the class
- Each student creates a customized resource binder with the indispensable information presented during the class to use throughout the coming school year
- Students learn how to advocate for their learning style
- Students start the school year with increased skills
Applications are NOW OPEN!
- Completed online application (required)
- Teacher Questionnaire (required – share this link with your child’s teacher) – we need your child’s teacher to fill out this form in its entirety (especially the reading level) to help us determine if our program is the right fit for your child.
- Writing Sample (required) – we provide the prompt and directions for completion; this sample helps us group the students and tailor the curriculum to the individuals
- Any learning difference documentation (required IF YOU HAVE THIS DOCUMENTATION) – if your child has an IEP/504 plan and/or an evaluation for a learning difference, please provide these for review.
Financial Aid Form – (If applying for financial assistance, you will need to submit the financial aid form FIRST before applying for the class online. If approved for financial assistance, you will be given a special financial aid code to use for the online application to reduce the cost.)
For a better school year – stop Summer Brain Drain:
Studies show that children who are not in summer programs lose at least a month’s worth of learning. COVID-19 has contributed to even more learning loss. Additionally, in-depth research has also shown that this learning loss is a result of not participating in educational activities during the summer. RITES’ Code Breakers Program is designed to engage students’ whole brain in fun, interactive activities. By attending this program, your student will not lose skills over the summer, will reinforce and build reading and writing skills, and will have a head-start on being more confident when it comes to learning new material.
Not sure which program is right for your child? Contact RI Tutorial’s academic counselors so we can help your child make educational gains this summer in our proven, effective, high-quality programs.
Rhode Island Tutorial & Educational Services
334 East Avenue – Suite 3 Pawtucket, RI 02860
Speak with a RITES Specialist 401-723-4459