Overcome Reading Difficulties with RITES Reading Tutors and Summer Programs
Do you know a struggling reader? If so, he or she is not alone: Studies show that 17-20% of children have reading difficulties that consequently may require reading tutors. As a result, addressing students’ reading difficulties early and with expert guidance with a certified reading tutor is key to success. See below to let us know how RITES can best help your student.
If you’re seeing signs of reading difficulties – see below for more details – RITES can help in multiple ways:
- Summer group programs in Providence, or
- Individualized tutoring – year-round, in summer, or during the school year – either at RITES’ Pawtucket learning center or with reading tutors near you.
Don’t Wait: Solve Reading Difficulties Now With RITES Reading Tutors
Struggling readers don’t have to go it alone. RITES tutors have helped thousands of students in Rhode Island to improve their reading skills. They can help your child, too.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Your initial consultation is free
- Individual reading tutoring costs $60/hour
- Tutors provide all necessary learning materials for a yearly $25 fee
Signs of reading difficulties can include:
- Trouble pronouncing or remembering new words, or learning the names and sounds of letters
- Difficulty breaking words into sounds or blending sounds together into words
- Showing a reluctance to read or a lack of enjoyment in reading
- Poor spelling, or trouble with oral comprehension and expressing themselves
- Becoming easily distracted, restless, and finding it hard to follow directions or routines
Learn more about signs of reading difficulties. When a child struggles to read, it’s usually not due to intelligence or a desire to learn. It’s often because of an inability to understand individual sounds, also called “phonemic awareness.”
Certified Reading Tutors Make the Difference for Students With Reading Difficulties
Above all, addressing reading difficulties early through tutoring can save a child from being held back in school for up to several years. The earlier students receive help from reading tutors, the sooner they can get back on track with their peer group.
Reading difficulties affects up to 1 in 5 students nationwide, and sometimes accompanies learning differences like Dyslexia. Rhode Island Tutorial and Education Services (RITES) reading tutors are certified teachers with at least 10 years of experience. Furthermore RITES tutors are trained in the most effective methods to help stem reading difficulties in elementary, middle and high school students.
A Proven Reading Tool: Multisensory Learning
RITES tutors and summer programs crucially use multisensory learning techniques to help improve reading skills. Multisensory learning is a proven and effective way to learn new content because it uses multiple pathways of the brain. When a learning activity uses seeing, hearing, and doing something at the same time, it enhances a child’s ability to remember.
In addition RITES summer programs use tactile activities in the classroom. For example, a student plays with shaving cream to spell out words or letters on a desk while the teacher says them aloud. Students furthermore have fun with the Lexia Core 5 literacy program on iPads: a software program that uses game-based activities to encourage reading and reinforce what students learn in the classroom.
Find Reading Tutors Near You: Next Steps
- East Greenwich,
- West Greenwich,
- East Providence,
- North Kingstown,
- Seekonk, and other Southeastern Massachusetts towns and cities.
Summer Programs Target Reading Difficulties
RITES’ hands-on summer programs are another popular and effective way for students to improve reading skills before the new school year begins. RITES summer program participants come from many communities in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut and beyond. Click here to learn more about RITES Summer Academic Programs.
Explore RITES’ Rhode Island-based summer programs dedicated to helping students learn to read:
- Novel Exploration: Digging Deeper into Reading Comprehension and Writing for entering 5th and 6th graders
- Code Breakers: Unlocking Reading, Writing and Spelling for entering 2nd-6th graders (grouped accordingly)
- Rocking Reading and Megahit Math for entering 1st -4th graders (grouped accordingly)