Math Tools, Math Tutors to Help Your Child Excel
Math Problems Frustrating Your Child? RITES has Solutions!
Math is a subject that many students find challenging. But why is math so hard for some children and not others? And which math tools and strategies are available to struggling students? How can you find qualified math tutors near you? See below to let us know how RITES can best help your student.
Problems learning math can stem from a variety of different areas, such as:
- Oral language challenges: being unable to understand complex vocabulary or verbalizing the steps involved in solving the problem
- Cultural and language differences: students from diverse backgrounds may be culturally unfamiliar with the terminology and phrasing used in mathematics
- Cognitive factors: trouble analyzing and synthesizing information
- Emotional factors: a negative attitude or negative self-perception of a child’s own abilities can affect academic performance, as well as anxiety or learned helplessness due to prior academic failure
Math Tutoring With Proven Approaches for Maximum Effectiveness
It’s clear that math learning difficulties can stem from a wide range of factors. That’s why Rhode Island Tutorial & Education Services (RITES) offers math tutoring with certified teachers with at least 10 years of experience. As a result, RITES tutors have seen it all. They are trained to provide students with customized, effective tutoring.
Every child is different, and many factors can contribute to math learning difficulties. But with help like one-to-one tutoring, math summer camps, and patient encouragement at home, elementary, middle school or high school students can learn to navigate challenges and succeed in math.
Math Tools, Math Tips, and Strategies for Math Success
RITES tutors use proven educational approaches that have helped thousands of Rhode Island students to excel in math.
But tutoring can only go so far. Parents can help their child overcome math learning difficulties with simple, daily activities at home.
- Encourage the child to use mental math to solve everyday problems, like estimating at the grocery store. You can make it feel like a game.
- Help children to feel safe making mistakes. Never punish or shame them for missing a problem. Try to find the spot where the thinking process fell apart. And don’t rush them! Listen to their thoughts.
- Don’t tell children what to do to solve the problem. Teach them to use their own resources. Be a collaborator, not an expert. Find a quiet place during a calm time, and again, be patient.
- Make math fun and exciting by incorporating math-based games into everyday life. For example:
- Give children lists at the grocery store and ask them to estimate the cost. Then give them money to cash out at the register.
- Play simple dice games at the dinner table.
- Play around using non-standard forms of measurement.
- Pretend to be a “bank” for your child with pretend checking, withdrawals, and “overdraft penalties.”
- Play board games and card games requiring thinking strategies.
Finding a Math Tutor: Next Steps
- East Providence,
- Warwick and beyond.
Some important details about RITES tutoring:
- Your initial consultation is free
- Individual reading tutoring costs $60/hour
- Tutors provide all necessary learning materials for a yearly $25 fee
Summer Math Classes: Explore RITES’ Rhode Island-based summer classes dedicated to helping students excel in Math:
- Power UP: Writing and Math for students entering 4th and 5th grade
- Rocking Reading and Megahit Math entering grades 1, 2, 3, 4