Here is a collection of links to articles, resources, and RI services that parents may find useful:
Sites about learning differences:
- Decoding Dyslexia RI – Decoding Dyslexia is a nationwide, parent-driven grassroots movement in all 50 states and 4 Canadian provinces.
- Attention Deficit Disorder Association – ADDA is an organization whose mission is to be a top resource for adults with Attention-Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD).
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder – A leading non-profit organization that serves adults and children with AD/HD.
- Disabled Travelers.com – A great resource for those who need travel assistance and for explanations of various learning disorders.
- The National Center for Learning Disabilities – Organization that improves the lives of all people with learning difficulties and disabilities by empowering parents, enabling young adults, transforming schools, and creating policy and advocacy.
- The International Dyslexia Foundation – A non-profit organization helping those who have dyslexia and their families.
- LD Online – The leading Web site on learning disabilities for parents, teachers, and other professionals.
- We Connect Now – Gives college students with disabilities a virtual community with a voice on important issues with particular emphasis on college students and access to higher education and employment.
- New College Guide for Students with Learning Disabilities- Prospective college students with disabilities will find that many campuses are equipped with offices and services that address accessibility, accommodation, and assistive technology for a diverse range of needs.
- College Planning Guide for Students with Learning Disabilities – Extensive planning guide for students with learning disabilities to ensure students heir rights, potential accommodations, and scholarships available specifically to them.
Just for Rhode Island:
- Center for Psychology and Learning – The Center for Psychology and Learning offers consultation to schools and families to facilitate integrating what we know about you or your child into everyday life. Offers assessment, therapy, and consultation.
- College Admission Advisors, LLC – Full-service college counseling program for parents and students. Prepares students for the college process, from selecting schools, getting in, paying, and more.
- The Hamilton School at Wheeler – A ‘school-within-a-school’ for students in grades 1-8 with language-based learning differences.
- Middlebridge School – The mission of Middlebridge School is to provide instruction, opportunities, and support for students with learning differences.
- Tech Access of Rhode Island – A great resource offering information on assistive technology for learning-disabled students and families and others with disabilities. This program, established in 1991, offers training, workshops, and more.
- How Teachers Can Help Students with ADHD
- Classroom Accommodations to Help Students with ADD and ADHD
- Parent Guide to Understanding and Coping with ADHD
- What is Sensory Overload and Who Gets It?
- Resources to Support Students with Dyslexia
- Navigating Learning Disabilities and the Cost for Treatment
- How to Improve Emotional Self-Regulation Among Children with Autism and Attention Disorders
Rhode Island Tutorial & Educational Services
334 East Avenue – Suite 3 Pawtucket, RI 02860
Speak with a RITES Specialist 401-723-4459